Notary service is provided Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., based on staff availability. Please call ahead at 524-2470 to inquire whether a notary will be available.
The library charges a fee of $1.00 per notary signature. Prior to your appointment, please review the following:
- All signatures must be made in the presence of a notary. Each person signing the document needs to be present for a notary to notarize their signature. Notaries will not stamp or sign previously signed documents.
- All documents must be completely filled out. Notaries will not sign and stamp documents with any blank spaces.
- A current, valid photo ID with the person’s signature on it, issued by a state or federal government agency, such as a valid driver’s license, state ID card, or a passport is required.
- Notaries are unable to provide legal advice regarding the documents they are signing. Notaries can only attest the signatures that are signed in their presence.
- If your document requires witnesses in addition to your own signature and notarization, please bring witnesses with you.
- Library notaries cannot notarize documents for qualifying residential real property located in Cook County, government 1-9 forms, nor can the library provide an Apostille.
- The library provides notary service in accordance with the Illinois Notary Public Handbook issued by the Illinois Secretary of State. Library notaries will not provide notary service in situations that do not comply with the provisions of this manual, including, but may not be limited to concerns about a document’s or identification’s authenticity.
It is important to remember that a notary only verifies the signer's identity and that the signature was made willingly. A notary does not legalize a document, prove a document to be true, or provide any legal assistance.
Illinois law does not authorize a notary public to certify copies of any documents. Persons requesting certified copies of documents should be referred to the official who has custody of the original document or the office where the document has been officially filed.