Checking Out Library Materials
A valid library card from the Moline Public Library or a PrairieCat member library is required to borrow materials and use the public computers. Borrowers must present their physical library card when checking out materials. In the absence of a library card, Moline cardholders can present a valid photo ID or present their barcode via the library’s app. Minors may present a student ID or log in to their Skyward account for identification purposes.
As a member of the PrairieCat library consortium, Moline Public Library cardholders are also able to use their card at participating PrairieCat member libraries.
Materials may be renewed unless the following exceptions occur:
- The material is on reserve/hold for another patron or library.
- The material has already reached its maximum number of renewals.
- The material is not allowed to be renewed.
Requesting Items Within PrairieCat
Holds may be made on most circulating material found within the PrairieCat catalog, with the exception of new items not owned by Moline Public Library, passes to local attractions, reference material, books reserved for in-library use, and mobile hot spots. Your library card number and PIN is required to request materials through the catalog.
Out of System Loan Requests
If an item cannot be located in the PrairieCat catalog, Moline Public Library patrons in good standing can request an ILL (InterLibrary Loan).
- Ordering Fees: There is a $3 fee for requests for items, which covers postage and handling. This fee is paid when you receive the item you have requested.
- Waiting Period: Waiting periods vary, will typically be longer than for requests (holds) placed within the PrairieCat system.
- Checkout Period: The checkout period is at the discretion of the lending library. The item will be checked out to our library before it is sent to us. That means that, unlike system holds, the due date is already set before the item arrives at our library. For this reason, it is best to pick up your ILL item(s) as soon as possible.
- Renewing: If you would like to renew an ILL, please contact the Circulation Department. We will have to contact the library system that we obtained the item from to ask for a renewal. For some systems, we will receive an answer right away. Other systems may require a few days to get back to us. Please ask for a renewal as soon as you know you need it.
Moline Public Library patrons can request an ILL the following ways:
- In Person: Visit the 2nd floor Information Desk or call 309-524-2470 and staff will place requests for you.
- Online: PrairieCat ILL Request Form
- Once your are on the PrairieCat ILL Request Form page select the type of material you are looking for from the Interlibrary Loan Order Forms table.
- Enter your library card number (located on the back of your card) and your PIN, and click Submit.
- Enter as much information as you have about the item. The more information you have, the better. However, don't worry if you don't have all the information requested on the form.
- Click Submit This Request at the bottom.
- If you would like additional items, please go back to the ILL form and submit your additional requests.